Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Tajikistan
Classification of duty station: [[filter12]]
Standard Duration of Assignement : [[filter13]]
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 1 to 6 months
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 13-MAR-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
In recognition of the scarcity of the skilled teaching workforce as well as the need to improve the quality of learning resources, UNESCO will implement the EU/UNESCO partnership project: “Strengthening Competency-Based and ICT-Enabled STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) and VET (Vocational Education and Training) Education and Teacher- Training in Tajikistan”. The project benefits from financial support from the European Union under the Action Document “Quality Education Support Programme II”.
In order to support Tajikistan in making progress in the achievement of SDG 4 and implementing its recently-adopted National Strategy for Education Development for the period until 2030, the project aims to design textbooks, teaching and learning materials for selected STEM subjects based on competency-based curricula at the secondary education and VET level, train teachers as well as equip the teacher training institutes/centres in the areas of ICT and STEM.
This project will support the Ministry of Education and Science (MoES) as well as the Ministry of Labour, Migration and Employment (MoLME) of the Republic of Tajikistan to strengthen the quality of education and competency-based education in STEM fields with the use of ICTs.
Considering the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the project will start with an inception phase of six months. Within the inception period, a needs assessment will be conducted to review the project elements, in particular refine the Theory of Change, the Results Framework and implementation strategy in consultation with the MoES, MoLME, development partners and other stakeholders.
The needs’ assessment will include a review of the current status of the STEM education, the specific needs in the STEM education among teachers, the policy implications, curriculum development, teacher training system, assessment of students, and teaching and learning in the classroom and outside schools, including student perspectives on STEM education and factors contributing to participation, learning and educational pathways. In addition, it will also include a mapping of the ongoing work of other development partners in the field of STEM and ICT education, best experiences and lessons learnt, teacher competencies and training, to ensure synergies and complementarity.
UNESCO will be hiring a team of international and national consultants to conduct the needs assessment and prepare the inception report. The team will be led by International Lead Consultant and will field a scoping mission to Tajikistan.
The contractor shall perform the following work assignments under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Almaty Cluster Office for Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan, and the direct supervision of the Education Programme Specialist. The contractor will also work in coordination with the Education Unit of the UNESCO Almaty Cluster Office and in close collaboration with the International Lead Consultant for the Inception Phase of the project as well as the national consultants.
1. Participate in the scoping mission to Tajikistan to conduct the needs assessment, which will be led by the International Lead Consultant and a team of national consultants that will be hired for the inception phase of the project;
2. Take part in the consultations, focus groups and interviews with education stakeholders to identify key challenges, opportunities, strengths and weaknesses of STEM and ICT education with a focus on teacher competencies and teacher training needs. This will include teaching and learning in the classroom and outside the school and the assessment of student learning (both summative and formative);
3. Conduct a mapping of the ongoing and past activities supporting in-service teacher training institutions and the upgrading of their facilities, including within the EU projects in Tajikistan, to identify the best practices for potential scale-up, and the technical support and equipment needed at various service teacher training levels;
4. Collect relevant information and data, both quantitative and qualitative (disaggregated by sex, age and other characteristics), on teacher competencies and teacher training needs, including on teaching and learning in the classroom and outside the school, assessment of students’ learning (summative and formative assessment);
5. Provide inputs and draft sections of the inception report based on the collected information and data, related to the following areas:
6. Provide any other relevant input necessary to finalise the Inception Report, including the revision of the Theory of Change, the Results Framework and implementation strategy of the project in consultation with the International Lead consultant and team of national consultants and in close coordination with the Education Programme Specialist and Education unit of the UNESCO Almaty Cluster Office.
Skills and competencies
Skills and competencies
Deliverables and payments
The Consultant will provide to the UNESCO Almaty:
1. A needs assessment plan and the report outline by March 31, 2022 (tentative), on the acceptance of which the first payment shall be made.
2. A draft Inception report by 30 April, 2022 (tentative), which, on acceptance, the second payment shall be made.
3. A final inception report by 30 May, 2022 (tentative), which, on acceptance, the third (final) payment shall be made.
The deliverables with submission deadlines, the dates of the scoping mission, final fees and payment schedule will be discussed during selection of the consultant.
Please note that interested candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information as required below. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
Interested candidates should click on “Apply Now” and download and complete the Employment History form (Word document).
The application documents should be uploaded as one file. Before uploading the file, at the end of the Employment History document, please insert extra pages with the following required information:
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, submitted application documents indicated above, a competency-based interview, and may include tests and/or assessments as well. UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Tagged as: Chemist, Consultant, Director, Engineer, Intern, IT, ITI, labor, labour, learn, manager, PR, ship, skilled, Teacher, Teaching, technical
UNESCO - All jobs openings
We are looking for the right people — people who want to innovate, achieve, grow and lead. We attract and...Apply For This Job
Comply with safety rules and regulations. Be familiar with the fire equipment in his area. Follow the instructions of the...Apply For This Job
City of Burnaby is now hiring.Posting expires: Monday, April 4, 2022. The job posting service is provided in partnership by...Apply For This Job
About Al-Futtaim Private Company LLC No two days are the same at Al-Futtaim, no matter what role you have....Apply For This Job
Click above to see other opportunities available at Tetra Pak...Apply For This Job
See: http://www.civicjobs.cajobs?id=71478 Posting expires on Monday, May 2, 2022....Apply For This Job