Parent Sector : Culture Sector (CLT)
Duty Station: Erbil
Job Family: Culture
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 3
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 10-Jul-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
1. Overview of the functions of the post:
In February 2018, UNESCO launched the “Revive the Spirit of Mosul” initiative at the International Conference for the Reconstruction of Iraq in Kuwait. The main aim of the initiative is to bring the international community together to participate in the reconstruction of the Old City of Mosul through heritage preservation and education.
Within the framework of this initiative, The UNESCO Office for Iraq is implementing the projects “Reviving Mosul and Basra Old Cities” and “Reviving the Spirit of Mosul by rehabilitating its historic landmarks” which aim to contribute to urban recovery and reconstruction through skills development and job creation. The project is funded by the EU and UAE.
UNESCO is looking for a committed Project Assistant who will assist the Head of Culture Unit/Programme Specialist (Culture) and the Project team to undertake all necessary tasks required by the project in relation to management and administration of the activities.
2. Main duties and responsibilities:
Under the overall authority of the Director of the UNESCO Office for Iraq/UNESCO Representative to Iraq, the direct supervision of the Head of Culture Unit / Programme Specialist (Culture) based in Erbil, the incumbent will be responsible for providing assistance through the delivery of a range of programme and administrative activities in support of the project and the Culture Programme.
1. Undertake all administrative tasks related to the implementation and monitoring of activities of the project in close cooperation with the Project’s team;
2. Assist the Project’s team in the preparation and monitoring of contracts, including initiating and following up transactions and contracts in the system, verify invoices against contract terms, prepare and follow up payments, in close liaison with projects team and Administration and Finance Unit team and the contractors, support the preparation of contract amendments, keep the contracts and payments matrix updated, alert team members of outstanding obligations, timeframes and bottleneck;
3. Build good relationships with stakeholders and facilitate communication, coordination and project reviews with relevant departments at the Ministry of Culture and other governmental departments, UN agencies and non-governmental organizations, according to work requirements and per the supervisors’ instructions;
4. Prepare and regularly update the list of experts and craftsmen, institutions/associations, and publications about culture and heritage in Iraq;
5. Maintain and update Unit’s filing systems (paper and electronic), databases, budget and contract tracking and other information systems according to UNESCO’s rules and Assist the supervisor to monitor and record expenditure/disbursement of funds;
6. Organize official meetings, events and workshops by booking venues, equipment and providing other related logistical support; Assist in the preparation of briefings, minutes of meetings and correspondence, list of participants, meetings’ agenda, presentations etc.;
7. Organize official travels, including in conjunction with meetings, events and workshops; make travel arrangements; track and prepare itinerary and agenda; facilitate travel by providing/clarifying information and preparing the necessary documentation;
8. Respond to enquiries and follows up on routine outstanding matters; route information and queries as appropriate; provide information to supervisor and colleagues; make appointments, answer enquiries and/or refer them to the specialist concerned. As directed, liaise with various internal services to obtain additional information/clarifications;
9. Provide general office assistance, receive, register, review and draft correspondence, e-mails and type a variety of reports, presentations and tables to document/ transmit administrative or budgetary information; verify outgoing correspondence for completeness, accuracy and compliance with UNESCO format standards; maintain mailing lists and other contact lists;
10. Conduct translation from English to Arabic and Vice-versa;
11. Conduct other tasks requested by the supervisor to ensure the success of the work for the project and the unit.
3. Expected results and duration of the assignment:
The Project Assistant is expected to maintain the most up to date templates of different project implementation deliverables and availing them to the project teams when required. Main role is to support the project team through handling administrative tasks.
The duration of assignment will be one year with 3 months initial contract (as a probationary period), extendable subject to satisfactory performance, project validity, and fund availability.
5. Required Qualifications:
• Completion of Secondary education with certificate/training in Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or another related field.
Years of relevant work experience:
• Minimum of five (5) years of work experience in the field of cultural heritage preservation and protection, administrative support, and/or project implementation.
• Excellent knowledge of English is required and working knowledge of Arabic or another relevant UN language would be considered an asset.
• Analytical Thinking
• Good knowledge of project planning and management tools;
• Good IT skills;
• Strong facilitation and communication skills;
• Ability to adapt to dynamic environments and to work effectively in a multicultural/multinational environment;
• Good judgment and decision-making skills;
• Ability to work independently and in a team;
• Ability to meet deadlines and be punctual at work;
• Commitment to UN values of non-discrimination on the basis of race, gender, economic status, or religion.
6. Desirable Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field would be an asset.
Years of relevant work experience:
• Experience with international organizations in the same field would be an advantage.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
Tagged as: admin, Assistant, Construction, Director, Intern, IT, ITI, management, PR, ship, UAE
UNESCO - All jobs openings
Job Requisition ID: 136201 Established in the 1930s as a trading business, Al-Futtaim Group today is one of the most diversified...Apply For This Job
We are currently seeking for passionate and dynamic guest focused Food & Beverage professionals who pride themselves on their ability...Apply For This Job
Level : I-1Job ID : 182481Job Network : Job Family : InternshipDepartment/Office : International Residual Mechanism for Criminal TribunalsDuty Station...Apply For This Job
No Relocation Assistance Offered # 119163 – Warsaw, Mazovia, Poland Responsibilities: Maintenance of the integrity and accuracy of transaction recording...Apply For This Job
See: http://www.civicjobs.cajobs?id=73904 Posting expires on Tuesday, July 5, 2022....Apply For This Job
Job Requisition ID: 130746 Established in the 1930s as a trading business, Al-Futtaim Group today is one of the most diversified...Apply For This Job